Who We Are
Headquartered in Kanata, Ontario and privately held, Equispheres is a materials science company focused on advanced technologies such as additive manufacturing and cold spray applications. Equispheres’ vision is to unlock the potential of these technologies by engineering and providing ultra-high-performance, mono-sized metal powders.
Equispheres’ patent-pending atomization technology produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free, spherical metal powders, designed to significantly improve manufacturing processes, quality and reliability of customers’ end use products.
Equispheres’ staff of researchers, metallurgists and engineers offers a range of services including custom alloy development and application support required to meet demanding aerospace, automotive, medical and military component requirements.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced Sr Mechanical Designer/Process Engineer to join our growing technical team. We are a fast-paced and demanding start-up environment, engaged in the continued development and commercialization of existing and future production processes.
This role will consist of designing, specifying, sourcing, assembling and testing of a variety of industrial process systems and solutions to support the Equispheres’ technology rollout schedule. The ideal applicant will be a demonstrated self-starter with a broad range of technical skills and a demonstrated experience using SolidWorks. The applicant will have hands-on experience and capable of performing additional tasks as required within our ISO environment.
This position will work closely with all members of the Equispheres technical and operations teams reporting to the VP of Product Engineering.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Recognised Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience and a proven track record working in several or all of the following process engineering activities:
- Mechanical design of piping and related gas and powder transfer/conveyance systems
- Electro-mechanical systems
- Design and application of fluid power (hydraulic, pneumatic, vacuum)
- Application of variety of industrial process components (e.g. valves, pressure/temperature sensors, flow controllers, blowers and pumps).
- Working knowledge and experience of designing to meet applicable regulations and codes (e.g. TSSA, CEC, NFPA, OHSA).
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience with SolidWorks.
- 5+ years of project management experience:
- developing and managing budgets,
- reporting and liaising with contractors, vendors and in-house team.
Highly Desirable Requirements:
- Professional designation or the ability to acquire.
- Powder processing and material science knowledge or demonstrated experience.
- Experience and exposure to any metal atomisation process, ideally aluminum.
- Experience or exposure with melt facing components, equipment and techniques.
- Ceramic experience an asset.
- Proficiency with FEA/CFD software.
- Production ramp-up experience and working within a quality management framework.
Physical Skill and Abilities
Ability to work in an office settting and production floor.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion and dignity and it committed to provide a positive, open, inclusive, accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important – follow, respect and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres provides competitive pay and benefits and is proud to offer all of our employees an opportunity to participate in our share options program.
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.