Who We Are
Equispheres is a privately held materials science company headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario. Equispheres produces ultra-high-performance metal powders to enable more advanced and economical additive manufacturing capabilities in industries such as automotive and aerospace.
Equispheres’ team of researchers, physicists, metallurgists and engineers have developed revolutionary atomization technology that produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free, spherical metal powders. These powder traits are designed to significantly improve additive manufacturing processes, quality and reliability of customers’ end use products.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced Materials Laboratory Technician to join our growing team. We are a fast-paced and demanding start-up environment, engaged in the continued development and commercialization of existing and future production processes.
This individual will take the responsibility in the preparation and testing of incoming materials and products using a variety of laboratory procedures and equipment.
The ideal applicant will have demonstrated experience in sampling, recording sample information, preparation of metallurgical samples, conducting the tests ensuring that procedures and directives are diligently followed, and results communicated effectively. Additionally, the individual will have participated in routine laboratory equipment maintenance and calibration activities. The ideal applicant will have hands-on experience and capable of performing additional tasks as required within an ISO 9001 or AS9100 environment.
This position will report to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and work closely with the Plant Manager and all members of the Equispheres technical and operations team.
Qualifications & Skills:
- 2+ years of experience in a metallurgical or materials laboratory performing tasks that include sample cutting, mounting, polishing and microscopic examination.
- Demonstrated experience in following detailed process instructions and operating laboratory instruments.
- Experience in performing simple analysis, writing laboratory reports and collecting and compiling test results.
- Experience with managing maintenance and calibration needs of laboratory equipment.
- Must be organized, diligent and have a strong attention to detail.
- Basic level computer skills making, e.g. simple analysis and writing laboratory reports using the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety regulations.
- 4+ years of experience working in a metallurgical or materials laboratory within a production or pilot plant is highly desirable.
- Recognised college diploma in materials and metallurgy.
- Experience with aluminium samples and characterization of metallic powder including powder flow testing, sieve analysis, apparent density and microstructure.
- Demonstrated experience using an SEM, EDS and ICP-OES.
- Experience using image analysis software to process optical microscope images.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion and dignity and it committed to provide a positive, open, inclusive, accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important – follow, respect and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres is proud to offer all of our employees an opportunity to participate in our share options program as well as a competitive salary and great benefits plan.
Full-time, Indeterminant. Part-time may be considered.
Less than 5%.
Please send a 1) letter of application and 2) resume via email to: Email: [email protected]
(Please reference Materials Laboratory Technician in the e-mail subject)
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.