Who We Are
Headquartered in Kanata, Ontario and privately held, Equispheres is a materials science company focused on advanced technologies such as additive manufacturing and cold spray applications. Equispheres’ vision is to unlock the potential of these technologies by engineering and providing ultra-high-performance, mono-sized metal powders.
Equispheres’ patent-pending atomization technology produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free, spherical metal powders, designed to significantly improve manufacturing processes, quality and reliability of customers’ end-use products.
Equispheres’ staff of researchers, metallurgists and engineers offer a range of services including custom alloy development and application support required to meet demanding aerospace, automotive, medical and military component requirements.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced Materials Laboratory Technician to join our growing technical team.
We are a fast-paced and demanding start-up environment, engaged in the continued development and commercialization of existing and future production processes.
This role will consist of:
- Diligent preparation and testing of incoming and outgoing materials and products using a variety of laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Taking samples, recording sample information, preparation of metallurgical samples.
- Performing tests ensuring that the procedures and directives are adhered to.
- Communicating results effectively and participating in troubleshooting.
- Supporting calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
The ideal applicant will have demonstrated hands-on experience within a metallurgical laboratory setting – ideally supporting the demands of a production environment.
This position will work within the Equispheres technical team working closely with the Senior Metallurgist and Plant Manager. The position will report to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
Qualifications & Skills:
- Must have completed a post-secondary college diploma or similar course – ideally in materials, metallurgy or closely related field.
- Must have 2+ years (ideally 4+) years of experience in a metallurgical or materials laboratory ideally within a production or pilot plant setting.
- Demonstrated experience in following detailed process instructions and operating laboratory instruments.
- Demonstrated experience in performing simple analysis, writing laboratory reports, and collecting and compiling test results.
- Experience with managing maintenance and calibration needs of laboratory equipment.
- Must be organized, diligent and have strong attention to detail.
- Basic level computer skills to perform simple analysis and writing laboratory reports using the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety regulations.
- Experience with aluminium samples and characterization of metallic powder including powder flow testing, sieve analysis, apparent density and microstructure.
- Demonstrated experience using an SEM, EDS and ICP-OES.
- Experience using image analysis software to process optical microscope images.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion and dignity and it committed to provide a positive, open, inclusive, accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important – follow, respect and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres is proud to offer all of our employees an opportunity to particpate in our share options program as well as a competitive salary and great benefits plan.
Typical standard 40-hour work schedule, but with some flexibility on occasion to support issues beyond standard hours.
Less than 5%.
Please send a 1) cover letter and 2) resume via email to:
Email: [email protected]
(Please reference Materials Laboratory Technician in the e-mail subject)
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.