Who We Are
Equispheres is a privately held materials science company headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario. Equispheres produces ultra high-performance metal powders to enable more advanced and economical additive manufacturing capabilities in industries such as automotive and aerospace.
Equispheres’ team of researchers, physicists, metallurgists and engineers have developed revolutionary atomization technology that produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free, spherical metal powders. These powder traits are designed to significantly improve additive manufacturing processes, quality and reliability of customers’ end use products.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced Controls Engineer to join our growing technical team.
We are a fast-paced and demanding start-up environment, engaged in the continued development and commercialization of existing and future production processes.
This role will consist of specifying, installing, testing and optimisation of control and automation systems to support the Equispheres’ technology rollout schedule. The ideal applicant will be a demonstrated self-starter with a broad range of technical skills and a good working knowledge of a variety of control systems and related software. The applicant will have extensive hands-on experience and capable of performing additional tasks such as a vendor and project management.
This position will work closely with all members of the Equispheres technical and operations teams reporting to the VP of Product Engineering.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Recognised Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Control or Automation and Instrumentation.
- 6+ years of progressively responsible experience and a proven track record working with industrial controls, electro-mechanical systems, facility equipment.
- Working knowledge and experience of designing control systems to meet applicable regulations and codes (e.g. UL, CE, CSA, CEC, NFPA, OHSA).
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge with all or a combination of the following:
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Omron),
- PLC programming software and networking systems (e.g. Ethernet I/P, DeviceNet, Profibus, ControlNet),
- Supervisory systems (SCADA), such as Wonderware, Indusoft, Allen-Bradley
- Motion controllers/actuators,
- Power distribution for machine control and electro-mechanical power control,
- Metrology (level sensing, vision systems),
- Development of user interface (UI) through human-machine interface (HMI) and other industrial solutions,
- Design and application of fluid power (hydraulic, pneumatic, vacuum).
- Application and control of a variety of industrial process components (e.g. valves, pressure/temperature sensors, flow controllers, blowers and pumps).
- Professional designation or the ability to acquire.
- Powder processing, petrochemical and material science knowledge or demonstrated experience.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks or another similar CAD software.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, problem-solving start-up environment.
- Production ramp-up experience and working within a quality management framework.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion and dignity and it committed to provide a positive, open, inclusive, accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important – follow, respect and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres is proud to offer all of our employees an opportunity to particpate in our share options program as well as a competitive salary and great benefits plan.
Please send a 1) letter of application and 2) resume via email to: Email: [email protected]
(Please reference Controls Engineer in the e-mail subject)
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.